Hopefully this blog will inspire you to have confidence in your creative abilities and give you courage to learn and try new things. Try something NEW. It could be just what you need to make you a better artist, or a better person.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Roosters and Chickens

Yesterday's art class in Sunshine Summit was tons of fun.  While the rest of the class worked on self portraits, I experimented with wet-on-wet techniques with water colors.  It's coming along well.  I think it will be easier when I get the new water soluble oils in the next few days.  I also have my white rooster to work on, and I found a better "face" for him by searching the web.  It's great to have this fabulous resource at my fingertips.  Any subject I want to research or to find a reference photo, all it takes is a couple of minutes and "bingo" - there it is.

Here's a photo of a rooster painting I sold to my friend Nancy for her daughter's birthday.  Kathy collects roosters and her kitchen is full of them.  I have to admit that I started painting roosters because my friend, Peggy in Albuquerque (another artist) said roosters, sunflowers and cactus paintings sell well for her on craigslist.  So I have been doing those subjects more often.  It doesn't matter much to me what the subject is, as long as I get to paint and practice my craft.

I am painting more from mu "head" lately instead of working from pictures.  That's where this landscape I am doing right now is coming from.  I am not sure how it will turn out, but here it is on the easel.  Underneath the ocean scene is a portrait I did in class, but did not like.  So it is the "underpainting" of this masterpiece.


This weekend is the chalk painting en plein aire at Cahuilla Market in Anza. The Anza Valley Artists have invited the public to come and watch.  I think Scott will be able to attend as well.  As long as they have enough hamburgers, he should be fine.  He likes to eat.

Right now he is outside in the shop bead blasting an old cast iron pan I found at a thrift shop.  I want to paint another pan with a fried egg in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More doodle art ACEO cards.

For sale in my Ebay store It seems to be working, doodling and lettering every day, and my Mojo has returned!